March 24, 2013

Tortellini and Green Pea Salad

My love of cooking began when I started watching Jeff Smith on a PBS show called The Frugal Gourmet. Every Saturday morning from 1983-1997, "The Frug" would have themed shows that would later be compiled into a cookbook. Usually the first part of the show was taken up with the history of the food he was going to prepare on the show and he cooked during the second half of the show. Like Julia Child, Emeril Lagasse, Lidia Bastianich and others, you could watch and learn something from The Frug's show. Not like most of the current cooking shows that air.
This recipe is from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine (1986) and was part of the The Pasta Buffet themed cooking show. Easy and quick to prepare, this salad is good enough for company or a summer picnic. 

I used frozen peas that I bought at the Farmers' Market last summer and frozen tortellini. If you like pasta salads like I do, this one's a keeper.

You can watch part of the episode in which this salad was featured here.


9 comments:

  1. Jeff Smith was amazing, love his style. The pasta salad looks perfect for a potluck or a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember the Frugal Gourmet, however, didn't watch it. Darnit. Sounds like a good show. I love using that frozen tortellini in soups and salads. This looks really good Karen. Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true. What the heck do you take a way from Iron Chef? Certainly not cooking skills. I "learned" to cook from Martha Stewart in the early 90s when her show was still good and was on a 9am. Once she went to a studio audience and tried to emulate Oprah I quit watching. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad that there are no truly good cooking shows on anymore. :(

    I love this pasta salad! Tortellini is one of my favorite pasta shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I miss this show. I love how beautiful this salad is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who went to a party at his house in Seattle ----oh some 40 years ago. So I feel as if I know him. LOL
    I feel like everyone else--really loved his show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I missed this post, but glad I saw it. I'm always on the lookout for new (to me), pasta salads. This is a yummy looking salad Karen. I think my whole family will enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little late here. I used to watch that show a lot and have a cookbook of his. Your salad sounds great and it would be great if all the cooking shows now were as good! Sounds like you've been having a time lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I’m Anne from Recipesup.com, it is a new website where you can promote and increase the traffic to your blog. You have a gallery with your yummy recipes and beautiful photos. And you can add favorites recipes from other users.

    We love your blog and invite you to join us. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup! blogs.

    Regards

    www.recipesup.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...