June 28, 2013

Tuscan Spinach-Basil Pesto Salad

My daughter flew to San Diego a few weeks back to attend her cousin's baby shower (yay!). She rented a car at the airport and on the way, decided she was hungry. She pulled into a Safeway and made for their deli. I happened to call her while she was in Safeway and she told me that she got a Tuscan Pesto Salad that looked really good. She wanted to tell me what was in it to see if I could recreate it. She called after she ate it and said it was really good, so I told her I'd go ahead and give it a try.
A little basil goes a long way with me and my gardener, so I knew I didn't want an all basil pesto. I started with 1-1/2 cups spinach and 1/2 cup basil and was glad I did. The pesto was delicious. I got the other ingredients together (pasta shells, sundried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and Feta and made this salad last night. 
This salad would be good as a side salad, a light vegetarian lunch, or topped with some cold leftover salmon, which is the way I served it last night. The pasta will absorb a lot of the pesto, so additional pesto could be stirred in just before serving.

I have no idea if it will taste the same as the one my daughter got at Safeway, but it was really good, so now she'll have to make it and decide for herself. So, here you go Missy... hope you like it! 


18 comments:

  1. O wonder if my safeway (Ralph's) has it? If not I certainly have basil (and a darn a good recipe). GREG

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title sums it up. They can´t be anything but amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good pesto pasta salad! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With this summer heat, this looks like a perfect and flavorful salad. I like that you combined spinach with the basil. I'm sure you hit this one out of the ballpark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there is a single thing I would change about this salad (you know that's saying a lot coming from another blogger).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for recreating that salad. I've got some fresh basil in the garden, so this is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a quick dish...great flavor,will try soon
    view our blog
    http://indiaandworldcuisine.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never done well with basil but this summer it's going crazy. Definitely going to try this salad, Karen. Pasta salad are so perfect in the heat. I can make them early in the morning and don't have to heat up my stove again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No doubt that would be delicious! The flavors and textures. Love it.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Karen this will be in our menu for this week. i have everything and looks great for a carry on lunch.

    Thanks to you and your daughter.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link to the recipe. This looks delicious and I have recently rediscovered a love for spinach. This looks great.


    My homepage | Online PhD in Nursing



    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious and is so pretty Karen. I love that you used spinach too as basil can be overpowering. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pesto and this salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks amazing - I LOVE recreating recipes like this - great job - so delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Very nice and interesting post.
    Great and friendly atmosphere on the blog.
    Greetings. :)

    Patricia & Daniel


    • LINK •
    ˘ LINK ˘

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a delightful salad. And it is a good way to get a little spinach into the diet. The Barefoot Contessa makes a Pesto Pasta Salad with peas that uses frozen spinach (squeezed dry) in the pesto. Your salad is beautiful and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks delicious...just mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola Karen,
    What is going on with the cook of this kitchen. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting... I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...